UPDATE: This is most likely overkill except for custom configurations. Eclipse should work without all these configuration steps, compilers are included in the plugin.
1. Install eclipse along with CDT Eclipse plugin
2. Install MinGW. During install, make sure to go into the development section and select gcc: g++, make, and GDB. This will cause their prerequisites to be installed, too.
3. Add “C:\cygwin\bin” to system path (for g++, make, GDB)
4. Create a new C++ project in eclipse
5. In the project properties, set the toolchain to "MinGW GCC":
a) Open Project Properties
b) go to C/C++ Build->Tool chain
c) Select MinGW GCC